Wednesday, June 13, 2012

All that remains...

                                                               Reese's poor blanket.

So after almost 8 years of carrying around receiving blankets they have all finally fallen apart.  So here's the story...mainly for me so one day I won't forget how this all went down.

Before Reese was born I went to a consignment sale and found 4 Gap receiving blankets and I bought them because I knew they would be perfect for swaddling.  We used them for that for the first 4-5 months but then over time he grew VERY attached to the tags on the blanket.  They were fairly big tags, silky to the touch, and said Gap across them, nothing special.

 So I thought.

He (over the past 7+ years) has worn out all 4 blankets (they are really more like tea towels) down to shreds as you see pictured above. I remember I would rotate the blankets and as I saw one start to get worn out a bit I would switch it out knowing he wouldn't notice and hoping to make them last as long as possible.  I just couldn't seem to find another blanket that had that same tag...it was maddening! He only liked THOSE tags!  Weird.
We have probably had Granny, Papa, and Maw Maw sew the tags back on the blankets a couple dozen times.  At one point all the tags had fallen off and he would just carry the tags around in his pocket at school and  hold onto them at night, just in case he needed some comfort (sweet, but a little disturbing now that I think about it;)
*imagine with me:  trying to find a tiny tag in the middle of the night that he had lost in the midst of about 25+ stuffed animals, 2 Rangers blankets and about 4 pillow pets...it was always super fun;)
 p.s. they always seemed to be stuffed in his pillow but in the middle of the night I never seemed to remember to look there first and then when I would finally find it he would say, "oh yeah that's always where you find it!"  Not so funny in the middle of the night:)

Then one day he was taking a bath and said, "Mom, when I get to Heaven I hope there is a bathtub of tags waiting for me!"  Ha!  That's when I knew he had a problem:)

I remember numerous times looking on-line for more of those silly receiving blankets and I even called Gap and they told me that they didn't make those blankets anymore. (isn't that how it always goes?)
I always thought it would be hilarious to stuff his stocking full of them!

Well the end of the story is sad.

No more blankets.

They are all gone.

 The last one died a week ago when our dog Lucy was found (numerous times) dragging it around the house.  The tags have long disappeared and you can still find me from time to time looking through his drawers hoping to find one.

 I really hope I find one one day.

That would make my day...and his.
There's a special place in Heaven for those tags, I'm sure of it.

1 comment:

Haffner's World said...

Sweetest story ever! Claire has a bunny and bear that she has to have every single night or we don't sleep! It will be a sad sad day when they are gone!