Monday, October 08, 2007

Army Ten Miler!


Me in front of the Pentagon right before the race!

Me right after the race---I am not sure if I was feeling Army Strong:)

This picture is not too flattering but it really captures the moment!---It was unusually hot for DC in October but I was just happy it was not as hot as Texas!--most of my training was in 100 degree weather so I was feeling great!


Thursday evening I headed to Washington DC to run in the Army Ten Miler! I have been signed up for about 6 months and have been training forever so I was so glad for the race to finally get here! The race was on Sunday morning so Greg and I had all weekend to hangout with some of our friends from when we lived in DC--we had so much fun seeing everyone! On Friday I met up with 3 of my "mom" friends and their kids at our favorite mall ---oh how I miss Tyson's Corner...it has every store and the best play area for the kids! The rest of the weekend we tried to see as many people as we could and kept ourselves pretty busy! That was good for me so I didn't think much about the race Sunday morning!
Well Sunday came quickly and I was as ready as I could be- I was really excited to get it over with:) It was an amazing experience and the best race I have ever ran! The race started at the Pentagon and wound all around the major national monuments--it was a beautiful course--never a dull moment! There were about 18,000 people running and the whole 10 miles the streets were lined with people--I seriously felt like I was in a parade! Everyone was very encouraging on the course and there was great camaraderie! Every now and then you would come upon a solider running the race with prosthetic legs. Every runner that passed by would clap and slow down to show their respect and gratitude for their service. -It was amazing! I am so glad I decided to run and now that it is over I can't wait until my next race! I ended up placing 4,028 out of 17,633 runners and 827 out of 7,488 women--my time was 1:26:05--I am not sure if anyone cares or even knows was these numbers mean but I am trilled with the results and couldn't be happier! After all the training that went into this race it was all worth it ....now we start the count down to the half marathon---can't wait!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lets see, you beat 77% of everyone in the race and 89% of all women. I would say that means you can run far and fast.

This is a great time for me to announce that I will be participating in the 157 basis point run for the cure to end all cures.

Shane

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! Congrats on a great time!

Jill Vaughan said...

You're crazy! The last thing I'd be thinking about at the end of a race is another race:)

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

Great job!

Are you doing FTW Cowtown?

And are you doing Race for the Cure in April?

I am! We are getting a team together to raise money for the cure, let me know if you want to join us.

Susan