Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Concussion 101

Well Sunday night was scary to say the least.

Here's how the story goes:
I passed out standing at the kitchen counter around 11:15pm and on my way down I slammed my head into the granite counter-top fell back and slammed my head again on the stone tile floor.  I scared Greg too death (rightly so:/)  The reason I passed out (we think) is because I was watching a documentary on the amputation of Aron Ralstons arm in 2003 and I didn't have much for dinner.

Brilliant I know, it was stupid. I will never do that again...

Greg couldn't wake me up for about 30 seconds (which he says seemed like a lifetime) I was out cold and when I started to come to I started to shake violently and could not get my barrings.  I was confused.  And then there was the blood, way too much blood.  I won't go into details (so you won't pass out too) but there was lots of blood which scared me alot. (and Greg, poor Greg) He was so brave, for a man who hates blood and hates even more seeing someone he loves covered with blood he did wonderful...you are wonderful honey, thank you.
To make a long story short I went to the hospital got a CT-scan, lots of blood work, had an IV put in for fluid and pain medicine (my head hurt something fierce) and I got stitches right above my nose and right eyebrow--ouch!  Can you believe I have NEVER had stitches? Crazy I know but I am glad I hadn't because then I would have known what to expect. The numbing medicine would not take so 4 shots later right into the gash I was finally numb, I cried, I screamed, I was a baby:/   Stitches are NO fun.
All blood work and scans came back normal (normal meaning no internal bleeding), thankfully, and about 3am Greg and I rolled into bed and tried to get some sleep. I would like to say that happened but it didn't.  The pain in my head was almost unbearable, hitting your head in 2 places on hard stone is not recommended.  I was in a panic, I guess the shock hadn't worn off.
The doctor at the ER told us that even though all the symptoms were very scary and alarming that they were all consistent with a concussion and we should not worry.

We were worried, we couldn't help it.
 
Today (Monday) has been difficult.  The kids were asleep when I passed out so when they woke-up they were both very concerned.  They don't like to see me hurt. (rightly so:/)
I have not had much energy, ache everywhere, and have slept off and on all day.  My head just continues to throb and I have been having dizzy spells off and on since last night.  I am so tired of watching TV but reading makes my head hurt worse...rats!
Doctor says the symptoms from a concussion can last 5-6 days.  I am hoping to feel better faster than that...I sure pray I do.

Now you know the details here's what I'm grateful for:
I'm grateful for my husband. He did everything right, he was strong, kept his cool and even scratched my arm (I like my arm scratched, weird I know:) blood and all... he's my hero.
I'm grateful for my neighbor Tiffany who came over immediately and prayed over me.  What a great friend I have in her.
I'm grateful for Amy.  My sweet friend who is a nurse and came in 5 minutes no questions asked.  She looked me over and pushed me and Greg out the door to the ER.  She stayed with our sleeping kids until my father-in-law could get to the house to relieve her. Thank you Amy.
I'm grateful to have some family near by that are always there for us.  Thank you Jerry, hope Reese's bed was comfy:)
I am grateful to be alive.  Sounds dramatic but it's true.  We were scared, head injuries are scary, very scary. Thank you Lord for life and health.  I deserve neither but am grateful for both!
I am grateful for my friend Natasha that brought us dinner tonight.  Cooking tonight would have been horrible.  It was delicious!  She's our Italian friend I mentioned in my Italy blog...she can cook.  She makes  our tummies happy.  I love her.  Thank you Nat, you're the best.
I am grateful for Cari.  She woke her little boy up today from his nap just to help me pick up Abby from Art Camp (I couldn't drive) and took her for yogurt.  That means alot Cari, thank you so much.

Well of course there is always so much more to be grateful for but I will stop there for now.

I would add a picture here so you can see the damage done but seriously I look like a truck ran over me, I don't want to document that--sorry!

3 comments:

Krista said...

Goodness!!!!! I can't believe that happened! So glad you are okay. I can't imagine how scary that must have been for you guys. Rest up...I will call to check on you soon! Love you.

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

oh my word! glad you are okay, Becky (and sporting some sweet battle wounds) Good job, Greg --way to be a man :)

Faith said...

Holy moly, Becky!! That is so scary!! I'm glad you are okay! Please let us know if you need anything at all!

Faith