Saturday, May 19, 2012

He's BACK!

Reese "Slugger" Stamps is back in the house!
Tuesday afternoon Reese got his cast off, the same day his baseball team started the end of season Championship tournament.  I was a little apprehensive because when they took the cast off it still looked swollen and he would barely use it because he said it hurt.  Well that didn't last long.  As soon as we walked in the door Greg asked me if the doctor said it was ok to play baseball (I told him yes, because he did, but I really didn't want to tell him:/) and they were out the door tossing a few balls and swinging the bat.  YIKES!  
At first Reese wasn't doing too good but by the next night he was throwing it to Greg down the street.  
Can you say RESILIENT?  Wow! 
 Tuesday night he was just going to go watch the game but when they got there the other team had forfeited so his team just had a practice and Reese got to practice with them.  
Greg said he looked comfortable and he was making plays and hitting balls pain-free so Coach Joe said he could play in Friday's game.  Reese was thrilled to be back!  (Mommy was still a bit nervous I have to admit)
Friday came and his arm had gotten stronger in just the 3 days since the cast came off.   He dressed in his uniform 3 hours early;)
First up to bat we all held our breath...grounder to 3rd and made it safe to first. (about what we excepted being out of practice for so long)
Second time up to bat we were all breathing a bit easier and then it happened...it was like a movie.  I felt like I was having an out of body experience...He hit a homerun OUT OF THE PARK!  Yes, that's right...over the fence to straightaway center! 
 The crowd went insane!  
I don't even remember anything, I didn't even take a picture!  We just jumped around and watched his team dog-pile him at home-plate. 
There are no words...we were all elated!  
So proud...so SHOCKED!  
His was only the second out of the park home run in this league the entire season.  
The doctor told me he could play but would be very weak for about 2 weeks.  He didn't expect him to be back to normal for awhile and wasn't sure he would even feel like playing.  
Well I will have to tell the doc GOOD JOB...He is good as new:)
The team was happy to have him back! 
Way to go buddy!  
Reese told us he thinks his arm healed back stronger like in the movie Rookie of the Year:)
I agree. 

Celebrating with the boys!

Go Royals huddle!

Reese picking up a friend in celebration! 


Home run ball signed by the team 


Reese and his best coach ever, Coach Joe! (Reese was on Joe's team the first time when he was 4)
Joe is seriously the most encouraging, humble, selfless coach we have ever played with.  He has his priorities in check and doesn't take the game too seriously...he wants them to have fun and he truly loves these boys.
We hope to play with Joe as long as we can.   


Parents gone wild;)  So proud buddy!
I love that I got to watch Greg as he saw that the ball had gone over the fence.  It was priceless...I wish I had taken a picture, but it will forever be etched in my mind.  What a moment.  What a proud Daddy.

1 comment:

Magan Y said...

LOVE this last picture of the 3 of you! I am bragging about you guys as parents to my husband as we speak. This says it all!