Sunday, January 23, 2011

Expressing her Emotions

Ever since Abby was little she has had a hard time expressing her emotions.  Normally she would start crying and run into her room and want to be alone and NOT want to talk about it.  Greg and I wanted to help her learn to express her emotions even if she didn't have the words.  That's when we began asking her (since she's so artistic) to go and draw us a picture of how she was feeling and then we would sit down and talk through it once she had herself under control.  This has worked quite well and she actually began to really enjoy talking through her pictures even if it ended with Mommy and Daddy "winning" in the end.
Well the other day I didn't even have to ask her to draw me a picture.  She just ran out of the room and came back with this...
Abby is on the left and I am on the right with a "I hate Abby" shirt on--yikes!
Abby was feeling misunderstood and thought because I was getting after her that I did not love her.


I wonder what a psychologist would say about this? :/
No worries though, we were able to talk about it and I made it very clear that there will never be a day that I hate her even though I have to disciple her.  The verse in Hebrews 12:11 (in the Bible) that talks about disciple was very helpful...thank you Lord:)
*Just for the record I will NEVER own a shirt that says this....EVER!:)

No comments: