Sunday, October 12, 2008

A Relaxing Day at the Spa:)

*NOTE to my devoted readers*
-you must read this entry
--it's too hilarious to skip over...take time and read this one you won't be disappointed!:)



OK so I have to tell you all about my experience at the Buckstaff Bathhouse in Hot Springs, AK. I was really interested in checking out what everyone was talking about SO while Greg and the kids went to the aquarium, I went in for my "spa" experience.....it was NOT a typical spa experience--not that I have ever gone to a spa but I am pretty sure this was nothing like it:)
Anyways I pay my $52.20 (not too shabby I thought) and waited for the elevator to come pick me up while I kissed the family goodbye---the elevator was super old school--like 1912 old school;)
When I got to the top they told me to go left and someone would assist me in the dressing room. Now if I knew then what I know now I would not have been so eager to turn left and enter that dressing room---being that I was naked in front of about 50 women that day--no big deal!
OK so they lead me into this tiny locker cubbie like deal and told me to take all my clothes off. They said to holler when I was ready and they would get me a sheet---a sheet?! What is she talking about I thought? Well she wasn't kidding--I called out that I was "ready" and she rips open the curtain and tells me to turn around and then proceeds to wrap a sheet around me like a tunic. I held on to the sheet for dear life as I entered the waiting room--some woman says, "Wow we look like a bunch of angels!" I was thinking we all look very confused and vulnerable--but whatever:)
So they finally call me back to the bathing area. I follow this lady named BJ and little did I know that she would be very well acquainted with me as the day went on---if you get my drift:)
She then leads me to my bath room and before I can even get behind the curtain she rips my sheet off and says, "watch your step" I was thinking -I hope she doesn't watch me while I watch my step!
I was pretty uncomfortable about this time and was hoping the bath lasted a LONG time so I could gather enough courage to get out of the tub again:) I got to stay in there about 20 minutes then BJ walks in grabs a towel and tells me to stand up---now even though 20 minutes had elapsed I was not ready for whatever she had planned for me next, but reluctantly I arose from the tub. She then began to dry me off---yep she did--she actually did it for me...weird huh? Well that was more than awkward but by this time I had my sheet on again and I felt security in holding on to it for dear life---not that she wasn't afraid to rip it off me- but falsely I felt a bit more comfortable:)
She then led me to the most disgusting and awkward part of the "spa" experience --the sitz bath---there was a row of sitz bath stalls with no shower curtains, and I was assigned one amongst a few other (very large) women. I hadn't been sitting there long and I look to my right and see a sign that reads- relieves lower back pain, hemorrhoids, and syphilis---I about died! Was I supposed to skip this step? I keep looking around wondering if anyone around might have these conditions and if they did I was gonna freak!
Well I guess my lady took a break or something because she didn't come around for about 15 minutes and the whole time all I could do was focus on thinking about anything BUT catching a disease from the person that went before me! (ok so it wasn't that dramatic but my OCD/germ issue didn't help matters AT ALL!:)
Thankfully she let me get up and took me to the next step-- the most unusual/scary contraption I had even seen---it was basically a steam box--I sat down (naked:) and she closed me in and the only thing sticking out was my head--there was only an opening for my head THAT'S IT...it was crazy! I sat in this "box" for about 10 minutes and sweated like no other--they said it was a cure for obesity back in the early 1900's--I can see why! When BJ came over to check on me she opens the box, looks at me and says, "Welp, you look done!" -I sure did! I was beet red and dripping like someone had just poured a bucket of water on me--it was insane!
I just keep thinking, "what have I done"? I never get to go to a spa and now finally Greg and I decide it was a good time and I get this? -I tried with everything I had to be grateful, but all I could think about was--these waters better be magical---meaning I better look 20 when I leave this place!!:)
Well after the steam box, things started looking up--she brought me to a "cooling" area and wrapped me with STEAMING hot towels---I'm talking scorching HOT towels--she wrapped my legs and it was WONDERFUL--I felt like jello and got to lay there for 20 minutes or more!
She then took me to this crazy shower that had about 30 shower heads shooting on your body --she dried me off again....thank you very much--and then I got a 30 minute massage!
Honestly that part was great and made me forget (kinda) about my syphilis sitz bath:)
***Now--I have told this story a few times to my family and they have all asked if I would ever do this again.....honestly I don't think so--it was an experience that I will NEVER forget but I plan on next time going to a more modern spa---you know the kind that was built after the Carter administration...I figure that's a safe bet:)
I must say before ending my dramatic story that after I got done I got in the car with Greg and the kids and my skin felt like butter---it was amazing and it even healed a wart I had on my finger (gross-sorry) but for real---there IS a little magic in those Hot Springs waters after all:)

3 comments:

Hughes Family said...

How akward!!

Jill said...

dakoYou deserve a medal for making it through that spa treatment! You're my hero :)

Jill Vaughan said...

Tell Greg you can't bargain shop for everything :) I totally would've freaked too with the whole sitz/disease bath.