Friday, May 01, 2009

"I believe what He did!"

At dinner the other night Reese told us something very important about him and Jesus.

Here's how the conversation went:

Reese- Hey, today during nap I asked Jesus in my heart!
Mommy- Really? Reese that's great....what does that mean?
Reese- It means I believe what He did!
Mommy- Great! (I went on to ask him a few more questions about salvation and then I asked...."Reese, what is sin?"
Reese- Sin is lying....
Mommy-Do you sin Reese?
Abby-OH YEAH he sins he hits me all the time!
Mommy- Thank you Abby let's let Reese answer! (I was cracking up "inside:)
Reese-....yes I sin (he said this through gritted teeth at Abby:)

Greg and I are very excited that Reese is showing interest in salvation but are still not sure about where he is in that process. I was very impressive though with three things:
1- He brought it up himself--Reese normally has to be prompted to talk about spiritual things and led in praying to God. This time we were just out to eat and out of the blue he brought it up....that's progress:)
2- He also said, "I believe what He did!" What a great simple way to put it (it sounds very "BSF" to me:) so I am very happy that he is thinking about what he learns from his Bible Study classes.
3-Lately we have also seen a change in heart with Reese. He seems more aware of his sin and very sensitive to things of the Lord.

So we are very excited to see what unfolds over the next few months. Greg and I are praying that we don't get in the way of what the Lord is doing in his heart. I also don't want to over analyze the situation. I think many times parents just assume kids can't understand at such a young age but I believe the Lord can call whenever He pleases! I have been praying all his life that the Reese would come to know the Lord at a very early age so for me not to believe it when God does it would be lack of faith on my part!
Please be praying with us for Reese's heart to be open and soft to the Holy Spirit! Thanks!

1 comment:

The "W" Family said...

Hey Becky,
Zander asked Jesus into his heart a couple months before he turned 4. I really wasn't sure if he really got it or night or was old enough. He still says he did today and remembers it. Check out that pink sheet that came out a couple of weeks ago about how to know if your kids are ready and what to say to them- it was really good and a great comfort.