Monday, May 02, 2011

The Adventure Begins!

Greg and I are in Italy for our 10th anniversary for 12 days!

We are currently traveling by train from Rome, Italy to the Cinque Terre, a welcomed break for our legs from our last 24 hour sprint through Rome:)
Traveling by train is where it's at:)
We were delayed a day due to storming in NY and we missed our connection for Rome. We were very disappointed but took it in stride...nothing we could do. I think the Lord was teaching us a lesson;
He's sovereign over all things: His plan prevails! I trust we were not suppose to be on that April 28th flight to Rome, not sure why but I know it to be true.

Once we arrived in Rome it was on, no nap for us we had alot to see and do! We both did not sleep much on the plane but only got a few hours total...we lied to ourselves that we got more than we got so we could make it through the day. We're young we did just fine:)
We actually got to see almost everything we had planned to do in Rome but just in turbo speed:)
Yesterday we saw the Vatican Museum, Colosseum, Roman Forum and did a night walking tour of Rome. We got lots of pictures, about 100, I am very proud of us!
We ate lots of pizza and Gelato...I think we experienced Rome to it fullest don't you?:)
Yesterday was Greg's 33rd birthday so we celebrated in style;


Greg's favorite: cannoli. What better place to have it right?
Happy Birthday to Greg:)

Along the way I have been taking notes on my iPhone and have documented some funny, interesting things that happened to us along the way. I am warning you that these are thoughts not complete sentences...this is your warning:)

On the 8 hour flight to Rome:
Lady on the plane sitting across the aisle from me: veggie vegan insisting upon food that met her dietary requirements-she was a piece of work. She got a yogurt and no one else did, while she was sleeping I almost stole it:)
Sitting in the row in front of a newborn baby and her shh shh shhing Mom-- headphones were our friends- best friends:)
Baby actually didn't bug us just the mom surprisingly:)
While in Rome:
You say Rome they say Roma. I like Roma;) I will call it Roma.
Saw Nuns singing and paying guitar in Vatican city. They were singing Blessed be the name of the Lord, still not sure what they believe?
Vatican museum well worth the trip but once was enough
Don't be fooled by the "Uscita" exit signs in the museum they are just pointing to an exit in the future but it doesn't mean it's anywhere close! Took us an hour to exit, it took so long it was humorous:)
Pope is to Roma as Babe Ruth is to baseballa
Gelato every 2 hours is permitted yet you may run out of Euros- beware!
You are allowed to be rude in Europe
Every tourist is in their own world. Keep on your toes or you might get trampled.
Street pizza was the best
Not much cheese, but good
Mushrooms were a little much, try something different next time
Birds eating on a biscuit never having to risk it (inside joke...sorry)
Should have bought my wedding dress here!:)
Taxi drivers have small cars for a reason
They like to fit them in small spots in front of moving buses
You think smart cars are small? Then you haven't seen some of these cars.
Could die in taxi this week.


Insane taxi driver!
Worse than NY taxi drivers-by far. Smaller cars fit in smaller places.
Tax drivers text while driving and tweet and Facebook...and..and:)
Jet lag/plane ride all night makes my legs go numb. Weird.
Can you say blood clot:/ ha! (don't worry Dad, I'm kidding:)
Coliseum is super old:) very impressive, my favorite so far
Rain and our anniversary trips are synonymous. (see NY anniversary trip post:)
Local Roma people are very nice. Don't speak a lick of English but very nice.
I could spend lots of money shopping in Italy...lots
I bought a scarf, a perfect Italian scarf:)
Scarfs are the foundation of any good outfit..well that's my opinion anyway.
Every street is a sidewalk unless a taxi comes then you need to get out of the way fast! They don't stop for people, ever.
I don't know why I stressed about what I would wear in Italy.
Everyone here either looks totally wacked out or is an old person dressed in Rick Steve's suggested dressing wardrobe:)
They aren't kidding, you walk ALOT!!!
3 days in and our clothes already need to be sprayed with febreeze- uh-oh:/
Best gelato in Roma- Giolitti- hands down!
They put this yummy heavy whipped cream all over the top! Insane!
Gained at least 3 pounds in Roma- it's gonna be a great trip:)
We will lose it later!
the train station is pretty overwhelming. No one speaks English except every other lost American and they don't know where to go either:)
There are palm trees in Roma- surprising.
Large marble statues are a dime a dozen here. So common in fact that you may find one tucked in the corner of a bathroom stall:)
Still not sure why everyone here needs a bidet, do people have dirtier bottoms here? Hum.
They are not easy to use...just sayin'

Well that's all of my notes thus far... Stay tuned I have lots of thoughts normally:)

Almost to the Cinque Terre...I can already see the Mediterranean Sea!

Here are a few pictures so far...enjoy!



Greg and Rick Steves sitting in a tree...:)
Thank goodness someone's prepared I'd be so lost here alone!!



First italian street pizza--tested and approved. Yum-o!



Lots and lots of naked men. Notice Greg is clothed, thank you Greg;)
I feel "cultured" or dirty. not sure yet? Jury's still out:)



Vatican City and my head. Notice I'm also clothed. You're welcome.



Approaching the Colosseum, impressive!



Rain, rain go away come again in a few weeks!
We are listening to our Rick Steves tour of the Colosseum.



Pantheon at night, 2,000 years old...wow!


Yep. Our diet plan for the week:) we were the only people to have to get a cup because ours was falling off the cone. We must not be as talented as them?


Random old Italian man, isn't he cute? :)


Love the streets of Rome!

Location:Rome, Italy

No comments: