Sunday, May 08, 2011

Beauty Beyond Belief!!!


We are currently riding in a train to Pisa, Italy. The train is always an adventure and honestly you don't know you are on the right one until you "hopefully" get there and have your feet on the ground, it's kinda nerve racking but exciting all at the same time. We haven't failed yet- keep your fingers crossed:) All us Americans look ridiculous walking all over the station...secretly I think it amuses the Italians;)
I don't blame them for laughing!
Well the Cinque Terre was beyond words! Well I guess I do have a few words to share about it:)
Greg and I both feel like it is quintessential Italy. It's what would be in the movies- probably has been actually!
Here's a night picture, notice the laundry on the clothes lines and the wind blowing- amazing!



At every turn you want to take a picture but you know there is no possible way to capture what you are actually seeing.

They say this area was a hiding treasure for years but thanks to Rick Steves and his traveling expertise we all get to enjoy the beauty!
It is such a laid back town where basically everyone eats, hikes, eats, drinks wine and lays by the sea (sometimes naked;) and did I say drinks wine?:)
Yesterday was an unbelievable adventure hiking from town to town, there are 5 towns in all and yesterday we hiked to 4 of the 5! Wow it was crazy! We took so many pictures and met some amazing people along the path. We have made so many friends all the world. Everyone is so kind and so ready to strike up a conversation! We have a few of them that we plan of meeting in Florence when we get there-so fun!
I plan on making a slideshow of all the best pictures when we get home but for now I will share our favorite highlights and my iPhone notes I took along the way...I've got a bunch get ready:)

Cinque Terre reflections:
Breath taking
Never ever seen beauty like this
Pesto invented here...amazing, not as much garlic but very good
People hold nothing back here
Lady changing on the rocks completely naked, Greg was very uncomfortable:/
Mountains next to the sea is how it should always be done
You haven't seen Italy until you have been to a small med. town it's like you are on a movie set
Hike between towns:
Amazing scenic pictures can't do it justice with a camera!
Vineyards, olive gardens, lots of rock stairs, mountains, seaside views, unbelievable!
Eating at Osteria Mananan-authentic Italian no English
Restaurant in what looks like a wine cellar-cold in here
Have no idea what we are ordering but haven't been disappointed yet!
Wonderful pesto and focaccia eat it anytime breakfast, lunch, dinner in Cinque Terre
Anti-pasta first course meal by itself! Legit!


Water fresh from mountain wonderful!
Restaurant owners hangout in the alleys chatting drinking wine all day
Olives tart, salty and juicy
Playing Bon Jovi in restaurant
They have nude pictures of men stomping grapes in a huge wash tub on the wall- interesting art choice:/
I've seen too many nude men for my taste
No pepper in tables, just salt
Everyone here reminds me of Natasha:) could be her family?;)
Playing "she's a man eater" on radio- funny but odd can't help but sing along...dumb Americans:)
Pesto pasta amazing beyond words


Noodles fresher than I've ever had
Pesto not as ground up
All but licked our plate!
I keep speaking Spanish instead of Italian
Lots of superstitions here in Italy
I'm not into it:)
Had the BEST iced Cappuccino this morning...then again after dinner:)


They put fraps to shame!
Walking in town tonight we think we pasted Rick Steves?
Yes we did indeed pass him and I got a picture with him. I stalked him and waited for him outside after he ate some dinner- I knew no one would believe us:) needed proof
He's like a local celeb here everyone was trying to talk him...Americans that is:)
So very tired tonight- might have shinsplints?
No hot water tonight bc Greg takes way too long in the shower for a guy...what takes him so long? It's a mystery to me:)
Gonna wash some clothes tomorrow- couldn't rough it as much as we would have liked...that hike today got us dirty!


At the hotel they give you towels that look like my grandmas old teacup towels for her kitchen
They actually work really well...
Note to self: buy teacup bath towels when I get home
Where do I get those? Hum..
There is a duck laying on her eggs outside our window- she is loud all the time
I dream of throwing rocks at her:/





Bell tower starts dinging at 7am every half hour also right out our window...I like the sound of an alarm clock much better- never thought I would ever say that:)
Every American in Europe are best friends it's like everyone is family... A big traveling family!
Note to self: bring a hairdryer next time even if you check every hotel along the way to make sure they have one. European hairdryers are lame
Greg and I can put down a lot of food - we surprise people:)
Beaches here have gravel sand-not so lovely


Our hotel here...very basic but quaint



Stairs to room...lots of steps. We had a rooftop room


Water view shot. Our room is right behind us in the orange building


Lots of rocks to climb by the water....the kids would have loved it!


View of Vernazza from the castle at the top of town



Castle. You could climb to the top and get some great pictures



Climbing the tower


We loved to take pictures by random doors....lots of random doors. Where do they go?



Our battery ran out on our camera on the hike to the next town so Greg volunteered me to run back down into town to get it...how sweet of him huh? :). Took me 30 minutes or so to go back down the mountain into town and back up. He's very happy I workout:)



Taking a break on our hike. We needed it!
Not sure how long it was but I know it was over 7 miles for sure!!! Not for the faint of heart;) Although we did see a guy with a prosthetic leg hiking along-Impressive!





Greg's become a pretty good photographer along the way:)


Crazy good scenery but this picture does it no justice sadly!!! It's pretty good though




Riomaggiore, Italy



Pretty enough to eat:)




Vineyard to the right, olive grove to the left!




Greg's favorite restaurant



Me in Greg's favorite restaurant;) it was mine too!

Location:Cinque Terre, Italy

No comments: