Saturday, September 18, 2010

On the Outs with Facebook...

So I have been burdened lately for so many friends, and myself, about the struggles I have seen women have with facebook. At first when I got my account I thought it would be a great way to stay connected with my friends from long ago, overseas friends and in all honesty I like to see how some people are doing and then I never go to their pages again:/ That's a stalker right? ha!
Anyways over time I have seen it breed such discontent and jealously not only in me but in others women's lives too. For example, I would be having a great day and then I would walk over to my computer click on facebook and all of a sudden, out of nowhere, I would have thoughts that would just make me bottom out in either frustration, jealously/rejection (why wasn't I invited to the park? Why didn't they think of me?) and the biggest of all, for me and I know for many of my friends, is discontent! Discontent with the way we look, the husband we have, the house we live in, jobs, friends, vacations, lack of friends, lack of money to maintain the lifestyle that we see others living, and the list goes on.

WARNING---
**Do not read any further if you don't want to know my opinion. It is just my opinion and I am well aware that this does not mean everyone struggles with this but a LOT do so let's just be honest. I am tired of watching my friends lives, families/marriages, friendships, passions and whatever else Satan tries to attack us with struggle due to the stuff we post for the world to see!


PEOPLE,WHAT ARE WE DOING? What have we opened the door to? What are we allowing
to be put in our minds to run a muck and destroy our thought lives??? We need less of this "competition" this preoccupation with either thinking everyone cares enough to know I love coffee first thing in the morning or that to feel "connected" I need to jump on my home page every few seconds to make sure I didn't miss that my friends baby just spit up all over themselves and the dog ate the remote? For real? Are we wasting time? INDEED! I am and I admit it!
I am so burdened. I want something more. Call me cheesy, honestly I don't care, but I need more of Jesus! I need to be serving more, I need to be memorizing what God says in His word more, I need (like my friend Brent said) FEET THAT MOVE... Feet that move to spread the gospel!!! Yes, that's what I really desire when it all boils down to it... nothing else matters does it? Does it matter that we are "connected" all the time?? God has people in our lives that we cross paths with daily that we need to be investing in and not be so busy updating our status that we miss the opportunity to "connect" with those who are sitting right next to us while we type on our iphones, those living on our street, those we live life with NOW, not living in the past of who we used to be or who we thought we would be!! Oh, I beg you to give this a thought! Are you struggling with this? Do you feel your heart begin to "want" when you look at someone's profile? My advice would be to step back and take a look at your motives. I really do hope this is not a problem for you...I really do! I hope this doesn't apply to anyone reading this but sadly today alone I have talked to 3 woman that are dealing with the exact same struggles!
I've just started a break from facebook. I want to test the waters of my heart's motives. I want to pinpoint the areas more specifically that are causing this discontent and I want the Lord to do a work in my life and stop being so busy looking into other peoples lives that I forget to be still and look at my own.
So I guess I'll get off my soapbox now:) Honestly, to just "vent" is not my intent at all. I really do want to get to the bottom of this and I don't want Satan to gain any ground in my life and my heart. I want to be free and live the abundant life that the Lord desires for me and whatever is stealing that peace and joy I want to remove from my life so I can be filled with the good stuff!
Ok, that's it. If you read this far, good for you...I love you friend and only want God's best for you...are you pursuing that? I pray you are.
I'm gonna shake off the FB funk and pray the Lord does a mighty work in me. Join me or don't; just let the Lord deal with your heart that's all I ask.

7 comments:

Vaughn and Kay Bradley said...

I haven't been to FB for a long time...i find it to be a time stealer as well as the reasons you listed. Good for you! I enjoy the blogs so much better. You guys are doing a great ministry with your children ... encourages others to strive for something better. love you guys, msK

Stacey Johnson said...

Well said Becky!! It was just what I needed to hear today. I find myself feeling those same things, then angry with myself for caring so much and wasting time that I could be more productive. Facebook has been a wonderful way for us to stay connected. :) But it can be a waste of time. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!! Love ya!! -Stacey Johnson

Hughes Family said...

Becky I agree with you 100%.
2 things that have helped me are:
1) Limit time on social media to no longer than 1 hour a day (at one time or total).
2) Hide friends who post a lot of meaningless updates. I can still see their wall posts if I want to with MY time.

Thanks for the reminders & wake-up call! ~Jen

Brooks Inc. said...

Becky- Your thoughts are both challenging and convicting. Thank you for sharing your heart, it cause me to want to go deeper with the Lord....I have known you only a week...what a blessing you are already. I am thanking Him for you today!

Becky

Anonymous said...

I just felt a rather large old fashioned elbow nudge to my rib courtesy of the Holy Spirit;)

great post!! Would you be okay with me posting a link to this on facebook? I have some friends that I think would like to read it.

~Faith

Becky said...

No Faith I don't mind at all:)

The "W" Family said...

Oooh Becky great post! I never used to get on fb until I got my new phone and I find myself wasting lots of time.... Time that I could be spending investing in my kids, husband, etc. I've started trading my phone with my hubs so the temptation would be gone and debating just deleting my account. Wouldn't that be freeing? Thanks for sharing your heart- love your passion!