Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Why didn't anyone tell me????

OK--- so I was looking on here and realized I haven't been very good lately keeping you all updated!
Well I must confess I have been super busy with a volunteer position at Abby's school called a ROOM REPRESENTATIVE!!!!! So seriously I had NO idea how much it took to do this and actually I am a bit overwhelmed with our first task! We have to put together a Dallas Cowboys/tailgating basket for auction for a school fundraiser.......WOW I had no idea how serious some of these mothers are about fundraisers and their school---I thought we already covered funding by paying taxes???? Ok really it's not all that bad--just kinda:) but my eyes have been opened to the world of public school---it's crazy:) *I wonder if it's just Abby's school???
Lately I have been going to businesses trying to find SOMEONE to donate stuff to our basket---I have had some luck but I have gone to a few places and the other mothers have already been there and it had only been 1 day since our meeting---they don't waste any time! :) hehe!

So I do know that most of you are not from Texas or give a rip about the Cowboys but if any of you have ideas for my basket (we are gonna do a small tailgating grill instead of a basket and fill that) -or if anyone has Dallas Cowboys connections PLEASE let me know----OR if anyone wants to be a room rep for a kindergarten class in Texas---I will joyfully give up my spot:) -just kidding!
*"they" say it gets easier after this first fundraiser---we'll see;)

5 comments:

christy said...

eek!

it is true! the fundraiser stuff gets out of hand in public schools.... but lots of places it is the only way for a school to get the fun stuff like art supplies, computers, and playground equipment.

well, truth be told, teachers can write grants, too, but it is much easier to over-work your parents than write grants. ** insert sinister laugh here** maybe you could look up available grants and plop the list of them on your teachers desk. she will love you for it! hahaha

hugs
christy

Email: said...

oh my...what did you get yourself into?!?!? I really like to be involved at Dawson's school, but I stay as far away as possible from the fundraisers. Our school does the baskets also. And the mothers/fathers are quick to the trigger. They are out their 10 minutes after the meeting to get donations. Crazy! Well I do not have any Dallas Cowboys conections but good luck with that! Next time just tell them you will bring cupcakes to the christmas party.

Becky said...

yes--I plan on making it though this year and then next year I can be a "helper" to the Room Reps--cupcakes sound like a wonderful way to help;)

tomi said...

oh my. you must not have been at the bunco when I warned everyone about that!! it is demanding, BUT, your school is especially "zealous" about it. It is a great way to get involved and figure everyone and every thing out too though. I have been the room mom MANY times-let me know if I can give you any tips!
hang in there!!!

Anonymous said...

Hailey's school stopped doing fundraisers this year with the exception of 1
voluntary deal.

Shane