Thursday, December 11, 2008

2nd Annual Neighborhood Christmas Party!


Everyone hungout in the kitchen all night--my legs were killing me!

The guys stuck real close to the food table--Greg had a stomach ache when the party was over--it was too funny! (sorry Greg)

One of Abby's play stations--she wrote: #1 --"Luken" at the Fish (she is learning to sound things out even if it isn't spelled the right way:)

A few more stations-magnets and sitting on turtle!

Craft table, and on the far right side of the picture is baton twirling:)

Tonight went sooooo great!!!!! We had about 30 people come and it was meaningful and successful. We had a table full of incredible sweets (this year the neighbors brought their favorite hoilday treats if they wanted) and I made hot chocolate and apple cider for everyone. Everyone brought their kids (if they had some) and I set up a craft table and set out a bunch of games and toys for them to play with and they all had a blast! (actually Saturday all the kids are coming over again to play--they can't wait!)
Also before the party Abigail ran around setting up "play stations" for every kid to play at--she is so funny! She got that from me...guilty:)---when she was little I used to set up play stations for the kids and we ran on a tight schedule from morning till nap (otherwise I would have gone crazy staying home all day:)--kinda silly I know but it sure seems to have been a success! She's very organized, caring and thoughtful I am very proud of her! She spent all afternoon preparing for her friends to come --what more could you ask for?:)
Anyways something specific I had been praying for was to have very intentional conversation with the neighbors so I could find out about their lives and share Christ's love. Well that is exactly what happened and my heart is broken. First, because we have been 2 years and barely know the neighbors that the Lord has placed in our lives to serve. Second, I realized all around our neighborhood their is heartache, people fighting cancer, losing family, divorcing and basically living lost and sad lives. We have been here the whole time with the answer that brings peace and fulfillment to their lives and we have done basically nothing--I am ashamed!
Tonight that changes.
We have been placed here and this our mission field! Whoever will listen and needs help we will pursue and stop living such innerward selfish lives only worrying about what we want, need and deserve. I challenge each of you to look around you--everyone is so good at acting like they have it all together but don't be fooled people need Jesus and some don't even know it!
About a year ago Abby came to Greg and I and asked us if the neighbors across the street we're Christians. I remember thinking -gosh all I have worried about is if they would get their kids under control and stop having parties all night-they totally annoyed us! I wasn't worried about their salvation just my comfort. Sad.

Tonight I was talking to Denise and she was telling me 2 weeks ago she had cancer removed from her body and I about cried---she lives 2 doors down! Why didn't I know that? I should have know that so I could have reached out to her! Then after that another woman who lives down the street tells me she moved here 3 months ago after a terrible divorce and then 2 weeks later her sister dies and she says, "Becky, I am so glad to have meet you because it's comforting to know that someone is praying for me now!"
I was surprised how touched everyone was to have had this party and it was so simple--I plan on doing this again very soon! I encourage each of you to do the same--reach out make the most of where you are "planted" right now--you are there for a reason!
Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Amen, sister! I've had the same burden but it's challenging to connect with neighbors when I don't have them on my "schedule." I usually see them only when I'm running out the door or walking the dog and Katie in the cold air. I look forward to hearing how you're able to continue to connect on an ongoing basis with them.

The "W" Family said...

What a great party! We talk about that often, how we often will go overseas to tell people about Jesus (which is great) but don't even talk to our neighbors. Great challenge to get out there and stick a foot under the garage door before it shuts :)