Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Christmas in Cowtown


Me holding my armadillo right before the race--he was feisty!

Abby getting dirty during the science experiment---she loved it!

Reese doing the same--they mixed corn starch and water and it made this weird mixture that turns to a solid when you slap your hands together--try it! It's pretty cool!

Bring on the shaving cream!

Reese roping a chicken--scary! He was running after those guys like a holy terror and then he would slap that rope down on their heads like a whip--I am surprised he didn't knock one out break his neck and take one home! He's a mess;)

Abby patiently walked up to the little chicken sitting down all by himself and slid the rope gently over it's head and called it a day---oh I just love this girl---she and Reese are night and day!


This past weekend Greg heard about a Christmas shindig going on in the Ft. Worth Stockyards (aka Cowtown) We were not sure what all was going on but Greg figured it was a good chance to eat some Risky's Barbeque! Well it ended up being fun but I'm not sure what exactly was Christmas about it---they had a petting zoo, chicken roping, science lab experiments (not sure what that was all about but the kids loved it) and my personal favorite- armadillo racing (which I had the pleasure of getting picked to race one and won--good times:)
They also had a Christmas tree up and a parade later on in the evening which we didn't stay for but Greg and I figured that must have been the "Christmas" part of it!
Anyways about the armadillo racing. They would pick 2 people give them some gloves and hand you a huge armadillo. Then they told you to get on your knees and when the horn blew you were to blow on their tail and you were to do that until the little guy crossed the finish line. It was pretty amazing how fast he went---I think he didn't want me to pick him up again...I had to squeeze him pretty hard to keep him from slipping away:)
I am so glad they had gloves because I was freaking out--he kept clawing at my hands! Abby told me later that all the little boys were laughing at me because I was screaming---*clarification I was not screaming I was just laughing...loudly and very high apparently:)
Well my armadillo ended up winning and I was awarded a can of armadillo milk.....so nasty! The side of the can said--hand milked! What? Was that really necessary? Anyways I wasn't about to even try it so on Sunday we had to bring a white elephant gift to our Sunday School Christmas party and that was the best gift by far! (the kid that got it was thrilled....he's weird! He asked me if he could make pudding or something out of it? -Crazy I tell ya!)
Have any of you tried it? Or is that normal here in Texas? Honestly I wouldn't be surprised --I ceased to be amazed at all the crazy things people do down here--hehe!
Welp I guess that's Merry Christmas Cowtown style--you gotta love it!

1 comment:

Hughes Family said...

GROSS!! Armadillo milk! Bleck!