Saturday, December 06, 2008

Gaylord Texan --ICE!


Us all decked out in our jackets---very warm! Underneath we all have our ski jackets on so we all were very "puffy"---Reese was walking around like Randy from "A Christmas Story"--it was great!:) -he was not so happy about it!

Getting ready to go in

All aboard!

What you see right when you walk in--incredible colors and sculptures! That's a tunnel ahead made completely of ice!

Me reenacting a scene from "A Christmas Story" (can you tell I like this movie?--you must see it if you haven't yet) and no I was not really licking this statue--sadly Reese did but don't worry his tongue didn't stick there too long:) --and for the rest of the time I tried to set a better example for my kids;) --monkey see monkey do!

Ice House--very cool...I mean COLD!

Very big Santa--kids liked this one! Santa is made of ice!!

Flying down the slide!

Picture of the slides--look at those reindeer--incredible!

Abby posing for a picture right before we were instructed NOT to sit on the ice--oops!

The most incredible Nativity ever!

The kids loved this display--Reese loved the drums....go figure!

Reese is a very thoughtful boy--He is always thinking about what others like and wants to take a picture and buy it for the person! This time this picture is for Granny Larson- she loves penguins and Reese just had to show her what he found for her! So sweet!

We were blessed with half-price tickets to the Ice show at the Gaylord Texan on Thursday night and it was as spectacular as everyone says! I was so excited to hear that Greg had a friend in his BSF class that worked at the Gaylord and offered us discount tickets to ICE whenever we wanted--what a blessing! We have been wanting to go but at $20 bucks a pop we decided we shouldn't spend so much on it- especially this time of year! But of course-why am I so surprised:)-- God provided a way for us to go--He's great like that!
Anyways it was so amazing---so freezing (9 degrees freezing)--but fabulous! When you first walk in they give you these big jackets that are super warm--seriously without those we would have frozen and never would have made it! We spent about an hour and 15 minutes in there and it wasn't too bad. Like I said they keep it a "freezing" 9 degrees in there and you do notice it being cold but it has no wind or elements so it's totally bearable! I was pretty worried that I would ruin all the fun for everybody because I get really cold very easily (for example I need a light jacket in the summers sometimes--weird I know;) So I came prepared--I was all decked out in my ski clothes and covered every bit of skin. Really all I had a problem with was my nose and fingers (I HAD to take a ton of pictures of course:)
I don't even know how to describe what we experienced but it was very special-very unique and we will remember it forever! The kids loved every second of it and wanted to stay in there forever! It's an entire ice village-- A 10 foot tall Santa, team of reindeer, life size nativity, and more-- all made of ice. They had 4 ice slides about half way through the display and the kids LOVED that! I would go up with them get them situated and then push them down as hard as I could;) Now I know this sounds kinda rough but really they got some serious speed! Reese was flying but he kept getting upset he wasn't going fast enough--it was funny! Greg and I went down a few times ourselves and man ice slides are where it's at!
Anyways I have posted a ton of pictures because I couldn't decide which ones to pick!
I just love this time of year! There are so many cool things going on and new experiences to be had! That's one of Greg and my big things with the kids--we really want them to experience all kinds of different things and go as many places as they can! As one of my friend says, "Don't let a moment go by without capturing a memory with it!" --or something like that!
When we got done as we were walking out it was so weird. We knew we were cold but didn't really notice how cold until we walked out into the heated room---our faces and hands were on fire! It was the weirdest sensation---yet again something we wouldn't have experienced unless we had spent an hour in a 9 degree Ice room---I'm telling ya it's the best;) If you ever get a chance to go (at half price;) definitely go-- you won't be disappointed!

2 comments:

Email: said...

That looks like so much fun. Do they do it every year? We will have to try and see that sometime. Have a great week and enjoy your party!

Becky said...

Tammy--I am not sure if they do it every year--I think so though. It was great your kids would LOVE it! I hope you guys are well--Have a great Christmas!