Sunday, April 13, 2008

Crazy Days!


Daddy the soccer coach.....Abby loved it!

Reese and his umpire buddy!

Abby and the girls scoring ANOTHER goal!

Church car wash

This is how our Saturday went:
Woke-up early (8:15 -ok I know that's not early but I am not a morning person...cut me some slack:) then we headed off to Reese's t-ball game. As I said before Greg is assistant coach and I am dugout mom--well let's just say it's not easy to get a bunch of 3-4 yr. old boys and 1 girl to play ball. Yesterday we had one boy that cried the whole game, one that kept running off the field to give his dad a hug, and one that kept throwing dirt in the air which kept getting in Greg's eyes---and that was just in the field. In the dug-out I got the grunt job--I have to try and keep 9 kids on the bench until it's time to bat and keep the kids from running out on the field or to their parents. Now this may seem like it would be pretty simple BUT it's NOT---the boys poke each other the whole time, throw their hats around and spend the whole time saying, "he did it!" So now I know why they asked a "returning mom" to help out because no one else would return!:) Ok all joking aside it's not really that bad but it is sad that I don't really get to watch Reese all that much. Yesterday Greg and I decided we would watch Reese play no matter what the other kids were doing and that didn't go over too well....I ended up losing a kid and couldn't find him when it was his turn to bat--oops! (luckily we found him with his dad going pee by a nearby tree--thank goodness:)
**funny story**
Reese got to play catcher--he thought this was really cool and looked adorable squatting down wearing that helmet! While one of players were up to bat Reese politely walked up to the umpire tapped him on the bottom and said, "excuse me, you are in my way!" The umpire was caught off guard but he laughed and by the end of the game he and Reese were best buds!

After Reese's eventful game we headed over for 20 minutes to our nephew Charlie's soccer game. He did a great job and our kids were thrilled to see him in action--yet sadly we had to be on our way because Abby had a game in 40 minutes.
We got home, packed a lunch, changed Abby into her soccer gear, and jumped back in the car. We got there just in time to warm up the 3 other girls that came! Now typically we get to sit back and watch Abby play but this week we were asked to coach--ha! I'm not sure what Coach Miles was thinking, but Greg being the nice guy he is said yes---he then came home and said, "hey honey, 'we' are coaching next week!" (I played a little soccer in my day so he lucked out:) ) Now normally we have at least 6 kids--we play 3-on-3 but this week we had to make it work with 4! I am happy to report we were pretty good coaches:) They scored about 8-9 goals and really gave the other team a run for their money:) I have to admit I liked it alot---who knows, maybe next year we'll coach Abby's team:) -just kidding Greg!
So ok, Abby's game got over and we headed home to change AGAIN---Greg, the kids and I volunteered to do a community car wash for our church! I must add here that I volunteered us a LONG time ago and was unaware of our game schedules at the time--if I had known I would have worked it a little differently!
The car wash was fun and the kids thought it was great (they were the only kids and they helped with every car:) --they even helped a few times get the cars wet again after we had already dried them off :) ...my little helpers!
After a few hours there we headed over to Greg's parents to lay Reese down for a quick nap--what ended up being a nap for "Reese" became a mommy and daddy nap! I woke-up about 5pm to Greg on the couch and Reese sound asleep--hehe..guess we were worn-out! Thanks Debbie and Jerry for a place to sleep:)
We then had dinner and played awhile and headed home for bed!
We got home, put the kids in bed, and we awaited the arrival of our next event-- dessert and coffee and a little dominoes with Jill and Jeremy---good times!

Wow what a day huh? I must say I was super tired---Jill and Jeremy even got to see my "late night stupid laugh" I don't think I've done that since college....you two have been blessed:)

**I think next year we are gonna have to draw straws on who gets to play a sport:)
no more double duty...how do parents do it????

2 comments:

Jill said...

Your day just makes me tired reading about it!!! You guys sound like great parents...and great coaches :)

Jill Vaughan said...

Add another kid, homework, youth events, social lives, etc... and you get a glimpse of what I "do" everyday. And nobody can figure out what stay-at-home moms do to fill their time:)