Thursday, May 01, 2008

Visiting the Nursing Home



Walking through the halls handing out homemade cards--everyone was thrilled to see them!


Today Reese and I went to the nursing home with his cousins. I was so glad to hear that Anglea was going because I have always wanted to take the kids but I am kinda fearful at the same time! I think it all stems from the days when my dad would take me along with him to visit our grandmother. Every week this old man would call me Johnny (my sister cut my hair one thanksgiving super short--thanks Chris:) and how about the time I was talking with my Grandma Martha and she says, "darling I can't see very well but I think you've gotten fatter!" Well pretty much you can see I don't have very many good memories there but I truly hope to make better ones in the future! :)
I was super proud of Reese because he was very polite and talkative--he just stuck his hand out there and said, "Nice to meet ya, I'm Reese"---what a super kid! After today I was reminded of two things:
1. Kids are so non-judgmental and accepting of everyone!
2. And while talking to an 85 year old woman this is what she said: "Now that I am older I realize that memories are all I really have--my favorite memories are so simple--just sitting around the table and everyone is together all talking at the same time."
....so sweet yet very true.
I hope to cherish everyday and not let "life" get in the way because someday I'll be sitting in her very place and I don't want to regret a minute!

I think we'll continue to visit our new friends .... we can learn a lot from them!

1 comment:

Haffner's World said...

Hey guys! I love reading your blog! Your kids are beautiful!!! Looks like yall are doing great!
D'Ann