Monday, August 25, 2008

Abby's First Day of Kindergarten!


Leaving for school....

Walking in....

All of us--notice Reese is crying...not about Abby going to school though:)
I think he is kinda sensing things are changing but doesn't know yet how to feel about it--time will tell!

Outside the door....

Enough pictures already MOM!
I was just trying to capture every moment--hey this only happens once right?


Today was the day and oh was it a day:)
It started off great--she woke-up fine...EARLY but fine (we'll have to get used to that). Then we had some chocolate chip pancakes and we all took her to school! She really wasn't all that nervous, at least as far as I could tell, but she was concerned that there might be a bully in her class. We prayed about that and I told her I would pray for her during the day and she says, "Mommy, do you pray all day?" - I told her no but that I should!
Greg and I were surprised at how easy and uneventful the drop-off was --I am not sure what I expected but I guess I did expect to see at least a few crying mothers--I saw not a one....maybe they went home and cried in their closets?:)
Well-we left her in her room, she kissed us and said see ya later--welp, that was that huh? After almost 6 years of being home with me during the days that's all I get? hehe--no really it's ok! Greg and I were talking on the way home and we came to a realization: We really want to LET her grow-up--experience life apart from us and I feel no regret about all the years I have invested in her and that our time with her is not over- just a page has turned! I feel like God takes us through baby steps of releasing our kids into the world and this is phase 1---I hope to learn and trust God more and more through every phase so that one day I can support whatever the Lord will call her to do--even if it's moving thousands of miles away! (I 'm not ready for that as of now:)
But I do feel a sense of pride I guess--like all these years we have poured into her and loved on her and now she gets to pour into others---wow this journey is gonna be exciting and I feel such peace--- I know there will be tears along the way but that's why we have closets right?:)
Anyways- after all this I must say there was some hard times today too--one being when we got home she went straight to her room and closed her door---of course I follow her in asking 20 questions and she says, "Mommy, I need a little alone time." Ouch! I wanted to say NO--I haven't spent any "US" time today--but I smiled, turned around and walked away--but before I left I told her she had 20 minutes then she had to play with me! :) She was sweet enough to oblige and all was well--but walking away from her room I thought- wow- how am I gonna do this? She has spent all of her day with some strange teacher and I don't like it- she should be with me! Luckily I am pretty quick to come to my senses (sometimes) and I remembered it's not all about me---that hit me hard, but it was good and my heart is full---thank you Jesus for His presence because without Him I would be even more self-centered:)
Well tomorrow starts day 2----sure hope it gets easier sooner rather than later:)
................she's such a great girl --I guess it's about time I share her huh? (just not too much:)

5 comments:

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

I prayed for you guys all day! What a sweet time but I know it is bittersweet. I know Abby is going to have a great time and a great impact on the people in her school. Here's to a great first year!

Jill said...

I loved the way you wrote about this day! I never thought of it that way, but I totally agree..God does prepare us doesn't He! Your words also makes me want to capture every moment I have with each of my kids.

Email: said...

Just wanted to let you know that it does get a little bit easier each year. Kindergarten I cried, First grade I was sad to know that he was a first grader but no tears, and now second grade and I am excited for him to learn alot of new things. I am still sad and it is always hard to let them leave you for the whole day. But the days go by fast and they are home before you know it!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. This post made me teary! You are such a good mom Becky. This is a great reminder to cherish every moment and be thankful that I am at home with my kiddos before we "send them out" into the world. Thank you! And don't cry in your closet! It's ok to be emotional, this is a BIG change!

tomi said...

I am so glad that she had a great day! It is so hard to let them go! But like I always remind myself "....Train up a child in the way they should GO..." not stay-it's our job as moms and dads! You are doing a great job with her and I am inspired by you and your wisdom! :)